Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #3

I have tried to keep this blog school-related, but it has become really hard, even after only two Thursday Thirteens, to keep them that way. If anyone has any school related suggestions for Thursday Thirteen topics, please send them my way! Until then...
Thirteen Things about Becky

1. I am 26 years old. I'm very proud of this fact, because most people have no idea. I'm constantly being carded for buying lottery tickets, and just today, I was picking up my mom's prescription at Wal-Mart, and the lady working there asked me, "You're eighteen, right?"

2. I have a very full life, although it probably doesn't seem like it. My boyfriend moved here from British Columbia, and I spend most of my time with him. However, I try to spend a good bit of time at home with my mom, too. After my dad died, I don't like her to be at home alone because I know she gets lonely.

3. Lance and I are moving to Canada one day in the near future. We are both in love with BC, and our plan is to get married, live here long enough to save up some money, then move back there. I've only been there once so far, but it was enough for me. Victoria is a beautiful city; that's where we want to go.

4. But I want to lose some weight first. I'm constantly battling with my weight and right now it seems to be winning - I'm heavier than I ever have been before. I won't mention my weight here, but I'm only 5'4", so any extra weight shows up too much for me. I have been trying to eat better lately, and I have been doing Yoga Booty Ballet for about a week now. (I know - Yoga Booty Ballet? Still, though, it's fun, and by the time it's done, I am SWEATING and hot and I know I've burned some calories.) Lance and I are also walking some mornings, and every now and then I do pilates.

5. I love to read. I've been reading "Teacher Man" by Frank McCourt forever - it takes me so long to finish books, because the only time I really have for reading is at night in bed. I love everything written by Jennifer Weiner, too. It's chick lit, yeah, but it's smart and funny. I like it.

6. If I ever get to a point where I'm not in debt, I will be one happy woman. Since my dad died, my mom and I have had the hardest time paying bills... we even had to go to a credit counseling agency and get help creating a debt management plan. It's been really hard, and it's going to keep being really hard, but we've been in the DMP for five months, and three years will be up before we know it. I hope, anyway.

7. I never planned to teach fourth grade. I interned in second grade, then did two maternity leave positions (planned for 3 but then my dad got sick) in second grade. It was assumed that I would just automatically teach second at that school. I did get hired there, thanks to my wonderful principal, but the only position open was fourth grade. I accepted it and have fallen in love with it. I love how independent the kids are, and the curriculum is so much more interesting for me.

8. I try my hardest to be nice to cashiers and other people in public service jobs. I worked at Kroger for five years before teaching, and I know how rude people are to those they think are below them, so to speak. I always try my hardest to be courteous to them.

9. That said, I HATE IT when people are rude for no reason! Like when you're ordering food at a restaurant and the waiter is unnecessarily unfriendly. I'm always the first one to call the manager and either complain if the service was bad, or compliment someone if the service was good. I don't know if that's a virtue or a fault.

10. I'm too often a perfectionist at school in terms of tidiness. I always have to make sure that my desk is cleaned off before I can leave for the day, and I have a really hard time walking away from unfinished work. Before I turn out the lights, I always check the room to make sure that the chairs are pushed in, and there's nothing on my desk or the kids' desks. (My students are trained to push their chairs in when they get up, no matter where they're going.)

11. We just found out that my 20 year old sister is pregnant. I wasn't particularly happy about this, since she's not married, not financially stable, and (in my opinion) not mature enough to have a child. But none of that matters, because there's nothing that can be done about it now. I know that I just have to support her and do whatever I can to help her.

12. My boyfriend and I just drove about 45 minutes away to get a Wii. We didn't think we were going to find one anywhere, but turns out a store called Game Stop had one left. I told the guy how far we were coming, and that we'd be there as soon as we could, and he held it for us. So far, I kind of rock at that bowling game. I love that stupid thing.

13. I have three dogs. I used to have five, but we got rid of two. Without my dad here working, it just because too hard to afford to properly take care of them and feed them, so we had to find better homes for them. We're in the process of trying to find a home for Pookie Bear, an enormous Great Pyrenees, who is very lovable and sweet. I am in Aiken, SC, and Pookie Bear is free. Any takers? :)

3 comments:

Jennie said...

What a great TT! Ravenclaw students get into their common room by answering a question. This all comes to light when Luna and Harry are in a HUGE hurry--so Luna pausing to think of the appropriate answer drives Harry crazy. I loved it.

If they don't know the answer? The student has to wait for someone who does! "That way they learn!" :)

Marcy said...

I can relate to the task of trying to keep a teacher blog focused on school-related matters. But, that's really difficult to do during the summer! So, you do what you can do: write about your other inspirations.

RE: getting through a book: It takes me a long time, too. Right now, I am trying to complet Night by Elie Wiesel. It's about his time in a concentration camp. It's been very difficult reading on an emotional level, but I am determined to complete it.

Very insightful TT. :)

1UP RPG said...

I'm right with you on #8 and #9, but the exact opposite when it comes to tidiness! My classroom is always a mess! I feel sorry for my "neat" students.

Nice list!

Bob

Click here for my blog