Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Still summer

It’s still summer, although there’s not much left of it. It’s time to prepare for another year of fourth grade, although I’m not sure if I’m ready for that or not. It seems like summer is just beginning and already it’s halfway over. I’ve tried to keep myself in a sort of work state of mind, because if I don’t, August 14 will roll around and I’ll be shellshocked when I realize that those 5:30 mornings are back, along with the long, quiet drives to school, the long, noisy days at school, and the never-long-enough evenings when I’m just getting ready to do it all again.

I love my job. I really do. I’m actually really excited about this year. I feel like during my first year, I was sort of floundering, learning what was what and how things were run. My second year, I was really teaching, trying a lot of new stuff, but still learning. I think that now, I’m ready to do things the way I really want to do them. I taught summer school during June, and I was able to practice a lot of techniques that I never got around to trying last year. I want to play around with reader’s workshop and writer’s workshop. I also want my kids to experience some gardening, maybe; our school needs to be improved aesthetically, and I think that the kids can learn a lot that way. I’m also considering a classroom currency and banking system, which I believe will really reach my students, who may not realize the value of their education, but certainly realize the value of money, and would probably be willing to work harder for that.

I’m also excited about the professional aspects of my job, for lack of a better phrase. For example, I’m designated as fourth grade team leader this year. Organization has always been a strong point for me, but it was that messy sort of organization; you know, everything was in its place, but its might might just happen to be under my desk, or stuck in a drawer somewhere. I’m determined to clean up my act this year. I’ve already bought a planner and color-coded it with school activities and other important dates. Maybe that’s a little much, but I think that sort of thing works for me. I’m also going to be the membership director of ACIRA, our local council of the International Reading Association. I was secretary last year, which required very little work. Membership director, on the other hand, is a very time-consuming position which requires much organization and effort.

I think this year is going to be a good one.

No comments: