Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Tesh on Technology

On the way home last night, I was listening to the John Tesh radio show. I know, kind of cheesy. It's called "Intelligence for your Life." It's not too bad; I listen to it sometimes when there's nothing on. Anyway, he mentioned that students have been caught cheating on tests using iPods. Apparently they're creating podcasts with test information. This is kind of baffling to me. At my school, most of the kids don't know what iPods are, and very few, if any, actually have them. I'm assuming this is more aimed towards high school, though. According to the show, everyone is in an uproar over whether or not the iPods should be taken away from the students during test time. That's not what I'm interested in, though; I mean, kids are going to find a way to cheat unless they don't have the desire to do so, and that's another issue entirely. My question is this: why do the kids have iPods at school to begin with? I understand that music aids memorization and all that, and some teachers may even be using iPods somehow in their classes. But unless the school is providing the technology for the students, isn't that providing an unfair advantage to certain ones? How is it fair to let certain students use iPods during a test, and not provide them for the kids who can't afford them? If the school is providing them, then by all means, take them away from the kids if they're using them to cheat. But in this case, I think that the problem may lie more in allowing the students to use the technology than in what they do with it.

No comments: